Have you seen the newest official tangle? It is by Maria's daughter Molly Hollibaugh and it is a beauty. You can find the printed instructions in the latest Zentangle newsletter.
I will admit to being a bit intimidated by this tangle and I don't know why. I usually can figure out how to do them without detailed instructions, but I had trouble with this one, even with the instructions. I eventually mastered it and now I really love it. I am working on a how-to video but it needs more time than I have right now, so here are some quick tips.
- Start your first line of "S"es in the middle of the space you want to fill.
- Try to keep the size consistent.
- Make your "S"es nice and round.
- Imagine an invisible line of "S"es next to the one you drew and draw your next line right alongside the invisible one.
- After filling all of the lines of "S"es, rotate your paper a quarter turn.
- Draw lines from the open part of one S to the open part of the S in the next row. Again, it may be easier to start in the middle and work towards each edge. I do both edge lines before filling the middle.
- After drawing all of the lines in one direction, turn your paper again to do the next lines.
Here's the finished product.
I hope this helps and that you like this new tangle as much as I do.